Perhaps the definitive face of BMB’s sound, IAMPISSED is a true student of SGP. That’s not downplay the uniqueness of his sound, he has crafted some of the underground’s most recognisable production and worked with many of its legends. This is one of my most important and insightful interviews to date, and I hope you all enjoy it.
1. When it comes to the formation and growing success on BMB Deathrow, what part did you play? Were you one of the first members, and how did you become a part of the underground’s greatest and most respected collective?
WHEN BMB WAS FIRST CREATED INTO A GROUP, RATHER THAN JUST AN IMAGE PURRP MADE.
PURRP AND CHXPO SEARCHED FOR TALENT THROUGH TWITTER TO RECRUIT NEW MEMBERS.
CHXPO FOUND ME THE FIRST DAY HE WAS ANNOUNCED FREE FROM JAIL ON INSTAGRAM.
HE LATER DM’D ME ON TWITTER (Lucky me. I JUST created a Twitter at the time for stupid memes.) TELLING ME TO START REPPING BMB AND SEND OVER SOME DARK BEATS.
AT FIRST THERE WASN’T MUCH COMMUNICATION, BUT I STUCK WITH REPPING BMB AND PUT IN THE WORK. I EVEN DROPPED OUT OF SCHOOL AT THE TIME, SO I HAD MORE TIME TO GO HARD.
DOING THIS AND WORKING HARD GREW MY NAME AND SOME ATTENTION TO AT THE TIME WERE “Popular” BMB MEMBERS, PLACING ME IN FOR GOOD.
I’D SAY I PLAYED A PART IN BMB’S GROWTH USING MY TRAP METAL BEATS. SCREWMANEDOM$ AND I WERE THE ONLY PRODUCERS MAKING IT AT THE TIME, WE EVEN HAD A LOT OF UNDERGROUND PRODUCERS COPY OUR TRAP METAL BEATS EXACTLY. THEY WERE THAT POPULAR AT THE TIME.
WHEN IT ALL COMES DOWN TO IT, I WORKED ON UPGRADING MY SOUND AND LEARNING NEW THINGS AS A PRODUCER FOR BMB. I STAYED UP LATE NIGHTS FOR TWO WEEKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY I WAS GIVEN.
2. Where does your producer name/beat tag come from? I haven’t been able to place if it’s a sample or not.
HALF OF MY TAG IS SAMPLED.
WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE BEATS, I PUT OUT BEATS UNDER ‘Red Quad’.
‘Red Quad’ WAS A GROUP I WAS TRYING TO CREATE IN HIGH SCHOOL WITH A COUPLE OF GUYS I KNEW.
THEY STOPPED TRYING TO LEARN MUSIC AND I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO STUCK WITH IT. FOR THIS REASON I WANTED A NEW PRODUCER ALIAS.
I WAS BIG ON LIL UGLY MANE AND HIS MYSTERIOUS STYLE AT THE TIME. I WAS INFLUENCED BY IT, SO I WANTED AN ODDLY SPECIFIC NAME TO MAKE PEOPLE THINK “Wtf?” AND LISTEN TO MY MUSIC.
LATER, I WAS LISTENING TO PRANK CALLS ON SOME LOCAL RADIO STATION AND I HEARD THE INFAMOUS “I Am F****** PISSED!” AND INSTANTLY SAMPLED IT IN AUDACITY.
I LATER ADDED “BEATS” WITH MY OWN VOICE.
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY TAG SINCE IT WAS FIRST CREATED. STILL THE SAME GENUINE UNMIXED “I AM *BLEEP* PISSED!”.
3. Anybody who knows your music knows that you fuck with Purrp arguably more than anyone else. What impact did SGP have on your career and how did you first come to collaborate with him?
I FOUND SPACEGHOSTPURRP THROUGH LIL UGLY MANE SONGS ON YOUTUBE BACK IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.
PURRP’S MUSIC GREW ON ME WITH THAT ‘Not Giving A Fuck’ VIBE FROM HIS SONGS. I WAS A RECKLESS GRAFFITI WRITER, SO THAT VIBE MATCHED MY ENERGY LMFAO.
WHEN I FIRST GOT THE HANG OF FL STUDIO AND KNEW HOW TO SOME-WHAT ORCHESTRATE A SIMPLE BEAT, PURRP’S PRODUCTION OPENED UP A WHOLE NEW LEVEL.
I REMADE A LOT OF HIS PRODUCTION ON MY OWN BECAUSE I WAS SO FASCINATED WITH THE SPACE/PHONK SOUND THROUGH THE MELODIES, WITH SIMPLE DRUM PATTERNS TO COMPLIMENT IT.
SIMPLE BUT CLEAN HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY STYLE. PURRP’S PRODUCTION BASICALLY ENLIGHTENED ME THAT I COULD DO THE SAME, BUT IN MY OWN WAY.
I NEVER KNEW I’D EVER BE WORKING THE LEGEND HIMSELF LMFAO. I WAS A YOUNG TEEN TROLLING BACK AND FORTH WITH HIM ON INSTAGRAM, NOW WE WORK TOGETHER.
BUT PURRP KNEW WE HAD TO WORK WHEN LOKO LOS SENT HIM MY TRAP METAL BEATS. I JUST KEPT FEEDING HIM BEATS AFTER HE GAVE ME HIS EMAIL AND EVENTUALLY HE’D DROP HITS. SOMETIMES EVEN SECRETLY, I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO CATCH SOME OF THEM LMFAO.
IT’S CRAZY TO ME HOW I WAS A FAN, NOW I’M WORKING WITH HIM UNDER HIS GROUP.
4. Your production is immediately recognisable by its macabre atmosphere and twisted approach to melody. When did you first realise you wanted to create the music that you’ve been making for the past few years?
I GREW UP AS AN ARTIST, FROM PAINTING TO DRAWING 24/7.
THIS LED IN TO ME BECOMING A GRAFFITI WRITER FOR SOME TIME. I WANTED TO MAKE PEICES AS A FAMOUS ARTIST FOR A LIVING.
A COUPLE YEARS IN, I GOT MYSELF CAUGHT UP IN SOME TROUBLE BEING A WRITER. I FELT LIKE EVERYTHING WAS OVER FOR ME BECAUSE THAT’S ALL I WANTED TO DO.
OVER THE TIME OF NOT BEING ABLE TO DO WHAT I LOVED, MY MIND STARTED TO WONDER… I HAD THOUGHTS OF CREATING MUSIC EVER SINCE MIDDLE SCHOOL.
I NEVER WANTED TO BE A RAPPER, JUST SOMETHING MORE LOWKEY. SO I LOOKED INTO MUSIC MORE AND DECIDED TO TAKE THE STEP INTO CREATING BEATS.
I SPENT ALL MY MONEY I HAD LEFT OVER FROM RESELLING JORDANS ON MY CURRENT IMAC THAT I STILL CURRENTLY USE TO MAKE BEATS ON.
I GOT THE IMAC, INSTANTLY DOWNLOADED FL STUDIO AND LET IT TAKE ME INTO A NEW WORLD.
MY APPROACH TO MUSIC FROM WHEN I STARTED WAS WAYYYYYY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT I MAKE NOW.
WHATEVER WAS IN MY HEAD I PUT IT IN FL STUDIO. SAMPLING FALLOUT GAME CLIPS, MAKING STORY LINES TO FIT THE BEATS, AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER IDEAS.
CURRENTLY I GRAVITATED TOWARDS KEEPING THE SPACE/PHONK SOUND PURRP CREATED, ALIVE.
THERES A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE TO TOOLS TO MAKE THESE TYPE OF BEATS, BUT JUST DON’T KNOW HOW TO DO IT. I’M ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT KNOW HOW.
5. Out of the song’s you’ve produced for Purrp, Chxpo and other BMB members, do you have a favourite? ‘Rain’ is the most obvious classic, but you have an amazing discography so it would be hard to select from, I’d imagine.
MY PERSONAL FAVORITE MIGHT JUST HAVE TO BE ‘SmokeSniffPopSip’ BY AMBER & CHXPO.
IT WAS COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED, I SENT THE BEAT TO AMBER WITH LITTLE CONFIDENCE BECAUSE I WAS STILL LEARNING HOW TO MAKE THESE TYPE OF BEATS.
SHE SENT A DM BACK SAYING IT WAS MOST DEFINITELY SOMETHING SHE WANTED TO WORK WITH.
ABOUT A MONTH LATER I GET A SONG BACK FROM HER WITH CHXPO ON IT. NOBODY KNEW THIS COLLAB WAS HAPPENING AT ALL, NOT EVEN ME.
SHE TURNED A BEAT I WASN’T CONFIDENT IN, INTO A HIT.
I AM STILL GLAD I COULD SAY THAT I PRODUCED THE FIRST SONG AMBER AND CHXPO DID TOGETHER.
IT WAS BASICALLY MY FIRST UNDERGROUND PLACEMENT WITH TWO LEGENDS.
6. You run a Soundcloud page titled PURRP SWAG dedicated to posting rare SGP music. Does Purrp ever directly contact you about posting this stuff or is it more of an archive for his underappreciated material?
PURRP DOESN’T SEEM TO CARE. HE ACTUALLY RETWEETS THEM WHEN PEOPLE SHARE MUSIC FROM THE ACCOUNT. (when he had Twitter.)
I MADE IT BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE WOULD DM ME CONSTANTLY, ASKING “Can you send me this PURRP song?” I GOT TIRED OF IT SO I MADE THE ACCOUNT.
I HAVE ALMOST EVERY PURRP SONG RELEASED. SO ITS A GREAT ACCOUNT FOR NEW FANS AND CURRENT FANS TO ENJOY THE CLASSIC HITS OF PURRP.
I EVEN MADE A RARE PURRP MIXX SPECIAL FOR THE SOUNDCLOUD ACCOUNT.
7. You frequently give advice on Twitter about production and ways to market it. Do you have any extra knowledge to drop in this interview?
MY ADVICE TO UNDERGROUND ARTIST’S…
DO NOT TRY TO MAKE MUSIC FOR GIRLS, MONEY, & FAME.
STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF AND BE AUTHENTIC.
YOU WILL LITERALLY NOT MAKE IT ANYWHERE WITH MAYBE 5% SUCCESS OF YOUR “Goal”.
MUSIC IS ART. MAKE ART BECAUSE YOU GENUINELY ENJOY IT.
MAKE THINGS YOU ENJOY, DON’T TRY TO PLEASE OTHERS.
LIVE YOUR LIFE NOT SOMEBODY ELSES.
ALL FAKE SHIT WILL GET EXPOSED, AND IT WON’T BE WORTH IT.
8. Aside from members of BMB, do you have favourite artists and producers in the scene right now? I know practically everyone in the underground has rapped over one of your beats but do any stand out to you?
T’S HARD TO SAY, REALLY…
TO ME, THE UNDERGROUND SCENE HAS BEEN OVERSATURATED WITH CLONES AND FAKE PEOPLE.
JUST BECAUSE OF THIS I GREW MORE DETACHED FROM IT, I NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO ANY NEW MUSIC DROPS OR WHO’S “HOT”.
I HATE TO SAY IT, BUT I’M A LITTLE MORE INDUSTRY BASED NOW.
I HAVE SOME SPECIAL PLACEMENTS IN THE WORKS AT THE MOMENT.
I’M EVEN WORKING WITH SOME OF THE TOP ARTISTS OUT OF CHINA.
INDUSTRY OR NOT I’LL WORK WITH ANYONE THAT GOES HARD TO ME.
AS I GREW IN MUSIC I’M NOT AS EASY TO IMPRESS LMFAO.
9. What’s your next move as an artist? Will you be dropping any beat tapes, or EP’s with multiple guests in the style of recent Evil Haze projects?
I PLAN TO DO SO MUCH TO EXPAND MY NAME AND GIVE BACK TO PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT ME.
I AM PLANNING A NEW MIXX, THINKING OF A LONG ONE THIS TIME WITH CRAZY BEATS ONLY.
I WANT TO DO
– PRODUCER TUTORIALS
– VIDEOS ON HOW I LEARNED MUSIC
– NEW LOOP/SAMPLE PACKS CREATED BY ME
– IAMPISSED CLOTHING
I AM SLOWLY GETTING THESE THINGS TOGETHER, AS I AM BUSY WITH MY PERSONAL LIFE, TOO.
A LOT OF UNDERGROUND ARTISTS HAVE BEEN DROPPING EP’S PROD. BY ME, THOUGH! I BELIEVE THERES A LOT MORE COMING.
10. Do you have more work with Purrp lined up? I’m just curious if we’ll ever hear a full BMB project with all the members on, or is that a little ambitious given the size of the group?
ANYTHING WITH PURRP IS UNPREDICTABLE.
RECENTLY HIS LAPTOP DIED ON HIM, SO I THINK IT MIGHT BE AWHILE, I’M NOT SURE.
I WANT TO DO A BMB ONLY TAPE ALL PROD BY ME, BUT BMB AS A WHOLE IS PRETTY BUSY ALL OF THEIR OWN PROJECTS.
IT’S HARDER THAT WE ALL DO THIS ONLINE AND NOT IN PERSON.
THE WAIT WILL BE WORTH IT.
11. Do you have anything else to say? You can go crazy with shoutouts or whatever, I just appreciate you doing this with me.
SHOUTOUT TO BMB!
I GOT SOMETHING SPECIAL COOKING UP WITH MASTER KATO OF SHORLINE MAFIA, STAY TUNED!
AND IF Y’ALL NEED ANY BEATS FOR THE LOW HMU ON TWITTER – @IAMPISSEDBEATS !
OR EMAIL ME firstname.lastname@example.org
AND ONE LAST THING, STAY TUNED TO MY TWITTER I’LL BE POSTING MORE HELPFUL THREADS ON DIFFERENT MUSIC SUBJECTS.
THANK YOU FOR READING
AND THANK YOU FOR THIS INTERVIEW!
– MISTER IAMPISSED AKA PISSED